Thursday, February 19, 2009

A review of the movie Appaloosa

I love Ed Harris and appreciate a classic western, but this one didn't quite do it for me. It has great style, and in general a decent plot, but the dialogue was unconvincing and distracting. I didn't buy the idea that there would be a choosing-of-curtain-fabric discussion, or any other of the many relationship-type discussions that went on among the characters... it seemed very anachronistic. I also disliked Cole's quirk of asking "What word am I thinking of?" as at other times he was able to pull off quite elegant word choices. So overall, I enjoyed the acting by Harris and Mortensen, though Zellweger was even a little too tedious for the tedious character she played and found the dialog to be not-quirky-enough to be regarded as clever.

Cheers,
Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment