Thursday, January 1, 2009

Wishing you an Audacious New Year

Audacious has always been a favorite word of mine. This is in part because it starts with the same three letters as my name, and in part because of the complex mix of spiciness, creativity and defiant courage it encompasses. When I was training to be a Residence Adviser in college, we played a game in which we chose an adjective to describe ourselves that started with the same letter as our name. I thought of audacious right away, and was rather pleased with myself. But we were in a circle, and by the time we got around to me I was embroiled in a conversation. When they got my attention, my mind went blank... I blurted out "Avaricious Audrey." This impressed many people, because they didn't know what it meant. I didn't either. I was quite disappointed when I looked it up, and when I remembered the word I wanted to use. At best, I suppose calling oneself "avaricious" might appear audacious.

For the new year it is my goal to choose audacity over avarice in all facets of my life.

Cheers,
Aud

No comments:

Post a Comment